Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Columbus Marathon review and other stuff I've been doing

This was my 3rd time running the Columbus Marathon and my 5th time at this distance.
I think it probably will be my last.  If not my last, the last one I'm doing for a while.

This year has been crazy with goals.  I wanted to see if I could do a 50k and wasn't successful at finishing.  I did make it 22.6 miles so I'm proud of that.  It was muddy and I couldn't hold on to make it the remaining miles so I dropped out after 3 of 4 loops.  But it's ok.  I learned valuable information from that.  Mainly I learned that I hate loop courses and start to not see the point after a while.

I ran 2 marathons and attempted a 50k in the span of 6 months.

Toledo/Glass City I got a respectable time (for me, not for a BQ person).  I felt really slow at the time because 30% of that field gets a BQ from that race.

50k attempt was in June

Ran the Columbus marathon with a run/walk interval strategy a few days ago. I figured like 5:30 and ended up a few minutes more than that.  The same thing happened that always does.  I started to really not want to be there around 18 miles in.  There was only one time I didn't feel that way.  It was when I wasn't running the distance in an official "race" and it was done on my own with a friend for moral support and food.  My mood was good and I was focused.

Mile by mile this race was interesting.

Start of the race I was pretty excited.  I kind of already had it in my head that I was quitting marathons for a while.  Maybe forever?  I feel like I'm making myself slower by continuing to run them and I miss that speedy pace I used to be able to hit.  I turned 40 this year, and it was the 40th anniversary of the race.  Felt like I really should celebrate in this way.

0 (start line) - Standing with my friends, ready to be there as a few are running their first marathon.  Yay!  So pumped.  Those fireworks go off, you feel ready.  My one promise was to not get caught up in the people who take off so fast and pay for it later.
1 - This is a great mile.  I really love this.  So many spectators
2 - Only 24 ish left.  This is already off to a good start.  Feeling like I'm keeping the pace I said I would.
3 - 5k down.  Good music.  My friends are doing great too.  We are fueling at 4 miles.  Bexley is fun.  All these people cheering, running friends spectating.
4 - Still feeling pretty steady.  Fueling is happening.  Broad street is pretty long. Looks like we're turning here.  Good music and lots of spectators still.
5 - I'm going to do this again.
6 - Close to a quarter of the way through.  This isn't so bad.  Almost less than 20 left.
7 - 19 miles... I am starting to feel a little tired.  It's getting sunny and I'm hoping the clouds come back.  Been doing this over an hour... wow
8 - I'm going to ignore people talking about how they are almost done.  Half marathoners are starting to get ready to finish.  Soon they will split off and I won't feel like I'm fighting to get over for water.
9 - We are almost in double digit miles down. Not too bad.  Still feeling ok.  Heading past the hospital was hard but now we're past it.
10 - Only 16 left.  16... wow.  that seems like a lot.  Lots of patient encore mile champions so that is fun.  But this is getting real now.
11 - Ok don't think about miles left.  Let's talk to this people who are almost done.  They are excited, you need to get excited again.
12 - Getting near the split.  I don't want to take the split though.  I am going to keep going.  I feel ok about it.  I'll get as far as I get... which is done.  No matter how long it takes.
13 - "We're halfway there!" meaning... wow, not even close to done.
14 - Still good. This is getting hard but we can do it.
15 - Getting into OSU.  A few spectators but it's getting a little more lonely now.  I think that screen is coming up at mile 16 with messages.
16 - So excited that my kid's video was shown on the screen!  Feeling a little more optimistic.
17 - No one is here.  9 miles left.  At least it's not 10.  A 15k.  That is kinda a lot.  wow...  Stomach kinda hurts.  Feeling slight dizziness and noticing some hand swelling.
18 - I hate this. This really sucks.  This is definitely the last time I'm doing this.  I hate this long road through OSU.  Where are we? I want to stop in one of these restaurants. This isn't fair.
19 - "We are never, ever, ever, getting back together" That's how I feel about you 26.2.  Never ever ever!  What would make me feel better. Maybe eat some real food these people are offering you.  You don't know them. But they are giving you food.  Take it.
20 - My watch is really off from the mile markers now.  Like 0.4 off.  An extra freaking half mile off.  Damn.  "Storm the castle wall" That's cute.  Still hating this.  At least they tried to make it not suck.
21 - Listen spectator dude, don't tell me "chin up".  You're not my coach, you don't know me like that. Shut up.  Seriously.  You come out here and run if you're so concerned about people's form.  Yes, I'm walking a lot.  I know it.
22 - Ugh.  Please help.  Really... it's "only" 4 miles.  Don't tell me that.  I'm not almost there.  But really... 4 miles isn't so terrible.  Maybe you can run again, get a second wind. Do it!
23 - My spectator friends are coming up.  Yes!  They are right here!  They came ! Woo hoo!  Made my mile!  This is feeling like maybe the torture is over soon and I'm going to finish. Now let's catch up to the friends you started running with.  We will all finish this!
24 - Legs are hurting now. I can overcome this.  Maybe I could just try to run the last few miles. Ok let's get going.  Second wind.  Walk a little here and there.
25 - Suddenly this feels doable.  Just run!
26 - Yes!  This is happening.  Do it!  Closing in on the end.  Watch is off by 0.5 but ignore that and smile and just finish!

Yes, that was a tough one.  I think I'm going to rest a while and regroup my thoughts.  Luckily I haven't anything tough on my schedule the rest of the year.



No comments:

Post a Comment