Monday, June 13, 2016

Marathon training, Week 1

Hooray, my running break is over!  And yesterday was my 4 year runniversary!  Started using C25k (Couch to 5k) to train for my first 5k 4 years ago (6/12/12).  Since June of 2012 I have noticed a change in many things.  Resting heart rate is usually around 45-55.  Blood pressure is lower than it used to be.  Cholesterol level is lower (used to be over 200), triglycerides substantially lower, "good" cholesterol has improved.  Vitamin D is 51.1 and I used to have a pretty serious insufficiency.  Most of this improvement is due to supplementation, but I do think time in the sun (while wearing sunscreen) has helped me tremendously.  Vitamin D is a very important vitamin to keep a healthy, positive mood and state of mind . Very noticeable signs when you have a deficiency/insufficiency.  Wish I would have known more about Vitamin D years ago!
Anyway, it felt great to get out today and get 4.12 miles.  Plan was to start marathon training with a 4 mile run today.  My pace was reasonable (9:55) but I expected to feel more sluggish as I just donated blood yesterday and had taken a week off prior to this.  However, it seemed to not really matter too much.  I also celebrated reaching the 2 gallon donor mark from the Red Cross.  I've been trying to donate every few months when I'm feeling well.  One can donate every 8 weeks but I usually don't do it that much because I feel I need an extra few weeks to recover.  Also I try to line it up with my running schedule if it's possible.  For instance, it takes 3 weeks (according to studies) to recover your fitness level after donating . So I try to keep that in mind.  Not something you want to do a few weeks before a race.  I figure if I do it a month before then I'm fine.  Also my Iron level takes a while to replenish, for me that is longer than 8 weeks typically.
So, we will see if I feel well enough to keep running at about a 10/mile and if I do, that would be great for this week.  I've also looked into some running calculators that look at what kind of pace a person should plan for their long runs.  Found a pretty good one here: http://www.chicagoendurancesports.com/runcalc.htm

Based on my information it had some interesting thoughts for me.
My long (easy) runs should be: 11:03 - 12:25 min/mile
My tempo/pace runs should be: 9:15 min/mile

I put in the time I ran my last half in and this is what it tells me.  Looking at my past training, my long runs have been about 10:30 but I find it difficult to run much slower than that as it seems to affect my form.  So I need to work at getting to 11:03/mile.  I believe this would be good for me as others have recommended doing this.  Today I ran in between long (recommended) and tempo run pace.  So that's probably on target.

Looks like there is some work to do on practicing running slower on long runs. 
Found a few articles I need to read.  https://runnersconnect.net/running-training-articles/wrong-long-run-pace/
http://womensrunning.competitor.com/2015/07/nyc-running-mama/an-easy-way-to-get-faster-slow-down_44089

No comments:

Post a Comment