Monday, June 17, 2019

Glass City Story

I realized I never really posted on this experience.

Marathon recap... Long... Glass City - great race support, shirt, glass mug and biggest medal I've ever received. If my personal circumstances were better I would have loved it even more... 

Not even sure how to talk about this adventure. First it is supposed to snow, then the rain snow mix. It was still drizzling when I got there so I was wearing a ratty sweatshirt cut down the middle that my dad gave me as a throwaway over my layered outfit. I didn't think I'd need it but I did. I put a poncho over it and waited at the start. 

Starting out, I turned on my watch with intervals set and was ready to go. 10 min run, 1.5 min fast walk. Started out fine except for the fact that my supposedly fully charged watch was at 50%. No idea how this happened, it was at 100% when I put it in my bag. I'm thinking "ok so what's the plan when watch dies since it's inevitable." I'm cursing myself for not even turning on my watch that morning and then not even charging it in the 45 min drive in the car which I could have done if I had checked it. 

Ok, so backup plan forming as I stand in corral, when watch dies do intervals at mile markers. 150 steps is about a minute and a half so this should work out ok. Things are going really well and I have a strong start that I'm proud of, until I have to take a break to use the restroom. I wanted to earlier but all lines were way too long for restrooms so I kept going since they were plentiful. I was trying to wait until the half people left us about 9 miles in but couldn't. 

That ate up a little of my time. Oh well. I get going but due to the drizzle I'm getting an uncomfortable clothing situation and luckily find some help around 8 miles in. Ok a little more time gone and now I accidentally turned off my watch. Great. Or it died. 

I turn it back on but thank God it saved where I was. So I know I am a few minutes off as far as timing. At this point it keeps telling me low battery. I keep backup plan in my head. I start to feel nauseated every time I attempt to run at a somewhat fast speed. This sucks. Damn. Ok. 

I dial it back some, ignoring my intervals. I keep feeling like this and resort to a lot of walking. I'm about 16 miles in. It crosses my mind, 6 hours is the cutoff. I crossed half at about 2:10-2:15. My plan had been even splits but considering my current situation what would it take me to do 10 miles if I had to walk? 15-16 mm minimum. Faster if I can. So 160 minutes worse case. So add 2 hr 40 min to my current placement and would I make it? I think so. Or I could just stop now. I do feel kind of bad physically. I promised my mom I wouldn't be an idiot. But the fam is tracking me and sending me little race joy cheers. So I have to finish. Ok so new plan is just keep going for now attempting to run every so often and test nausea feeling. Keep walking fast, just finish. 

At this point I was tired of my book on tape and growing angry at the narrators voice so I took out my headphones. Talked to some other runners about the shirt I was wearing which was a Toledo area race. Went through random neighborhood and then the sunny road that went on forever. I saw the cheerleader lady who was my saving grace along the course. I told her that was the worst part (17-19) and thanked her for being there. She continued to pop up at different spots on the course and I was so grateful for her. 

Got back into the park and realized I was closing in on mile 20. A guy kept grunting and singing and passing me, then I passed him, leapfrog situation. I was at first startled by his random singing of heavy metal blaring from headphones. His grunting was getting distracting so I put back on music not my book on tape. I probably needed music to finish. It really helped. By the last 3 miles most of the bad nausea feeling was gone and I resumed my normal pace. 

I kept seeing the stadium, going in circles around it, wondering where is the damn finish. I thought my finish time would have been far slower but I realize now running the first 15ish decently totally saved me. It was my second fastest out of 4 marathons. And I felt so much better the last 3 miles. I still have no idea what plagued me and made me feel nauseated as I've never had that happen before. But I'll always listen to what my body tells me. And It's true that the voice in your head telling you to quit is a liar. Usually. Unless you really feel dizzy. The hard part is doing battle with it and knowing your limits.

Also I saw this great race sign just when I needed it "Smile if you're a badass" of course I smiled (really just to remind myself) and the person holding the sign cheered me on.

Looking back, I know I've come a long way. Never did I think I would be capable of doing this for the 4th time at almost 40 years old. I didn't even start running seriously until about age 33. I had resigned myself to feeling down and being inactive after having a small child, until I realized I didn't have to be that way. You can always change your direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment